Anybody been to the Bloomington Cave? I'm sure some of you have at least heard of it recently because the Bureau of Land Management is planning on limiting public access to the cave for professionals. The Bloomington cave has been a topic thrown around in the local news, I've just heard about it recently myself. Let me give you a little info on the cave then I will explain why I'm blogging about it.
The Bloomington Cave is the fifth longest cave in Utah. Reaching its length at 1.3 miles and depth at 240 ft. This fault cave has been known for a looong time (don't ask me how long that is) and has been explored by hundreds and hundreds of people even out of state tourists. In the mid-1950's the cave's entrances were closed by using dynamite because the cave was thought to be too dangerous. The entrances were eventually dug up again and the cave was vandalized with graffiti and litter. I was reading one website that said at one point it was the countries most colorful cave. However, I'm not so sure that is cause for celebration. There is a group of people that have been cleaning the cave up. I put out kudos to them because it's definately not so colorful anymore aside from the beautiful red rock forming the cave walls.
Ok now to my point of blogging about this...You probably guessed it already. I went through it!!! Kenny's uncle Dave and 2 of his cousins came down from California so we got to explore the cave with those two, Kenny's dad and his uncle Larry as well. Getting to the bottom of the cave was a blast! Continueing from the bottom to get back out the North Entrance was a completely different story. I can totally understand why the government would want to limit access to the cave! It's just about straight up from then on and you're wedging your body between two of the cave walls to make it back to the top. I tell you what, if I didn't have Kenny in front of me to pull me up and the 6 guys behind me to push me and hold me up there is no way I would have made it! There was a few times I wanted to give up but it was either keep going up or go back down and DIE! Aside from all of the scariness we had a good time. That is my first and last time exploring that cave for sure!
We also went shooting with Kenny's family. There are some pictures of that below in the slideshow along with some pictures of the cave. Three of the pictures in the slideshow aren't mine. I found them while I was researching some info of the cave and thought they were pretty awesome so I included them in the slideshow to give you a visual idea of what my adventure was like.
5 comments:
I am jealous. I want to go so bad! I have gone to try to find the cave about three times and have never had any luck. I honestly was starting to think that the cave was a myth.
i am glad to see you having fun. But please be safe shooting those guns you know how i don't like them
I went to that cave when I was going to Dixie College. I remember that we had a really hard time finding it.
Nice take home wounds. I'm not sure that I would want to go in that cave scary. I have been hearing all the news on it. And on your tag post you make me laugh! Your so random and yes I vouch that you remember nothing!!!
I'm glad you had fun. Caves FREAK me out.. Nice bruises!!
Post a Comment