Sunday, February 1, 2009

Zach William Green-Herbert

A dear friend of mine passed away on August 18, 2008 just about a month shy of his 25th birthday. Some might ask, why am I posting this 5 months after he passed? It is because I only found out a few days ago. I never actually met Zach in person. My sister had met him on an LDS chat line when I was probably around 13 years old and since then I have kept in contact with Zach, who lived in Canada. The other day I realized I haven't heard from him in a while and had a feeling I should 'google' his name. Unfortunately I found his Obituary.

Anyobody who knew Zach would probably say the same, when I say that it only took me a short time of knowing him before I knew he was someone special, talented, and geniously smart. He was somebody who spent his life helping other people as a dedicated EMT and just being there for people when they needed someone to listen. I can't count how many nights I'd stay up talking to Zach just about my stresses in life and he would also help me with my homework a lot. He always gave me his opinion and never judged me. He just simply helped me do what was right. He was a great example to me and I was always convinced he would end up to be an Apostle or something lol.

Zach had a passion and love for music. I think music and his passion for EMT is what helped carry him through his life trials. He loved his guitar and he loved Kurt Cobain (from the band Nirvana). He was an amazing musician! I am sure now he is sharing his talent with the angels in Heaven.

Zach was also a spiritual person. Even though he had his weeknesses, as we all do, he always strived to be a better person. I kept some letters that he wrote to me and one of them he ends by saying:
'I really hope that you're doing great and nothing is too much that you can't handle it. Remember who are you are and where you came from and where you're going!..."
Your eternal friend,
Zach W. Green-Herbert

I also kept a tape that Zach sent to me. A few years back he promised he would record him playing the piano for me. I recorded some of it in a video clip to share with you all so you can experience his musical talent.
The first clip I have is a very special one for anyone who knew Zach. He explained in the tape that this is the song he played at his mother's funeral and vowed to never play it again, but since I asked him to play it one more time he'd get it on recording for me.

He loved his mother so much and all the years that passed never weakend how much he missed her. When he passed away I can only imagine the great reunion he had with him in his mother's arms again.

Here it goes. I hope you enjoy...


2 comments:

Gull Family said...

that is neat that you still have that, I remember talking to Zach many times on Msn messenger infact he is still on my list. Traumajunky I have thought about him many times. He was a good friend to you

KYLEE VERA. said...

i miss zach so much! he was a good friend to both of us. even people he didnt know he was always kind and loving to them. he never had anything bad to say about anyone. i know that even though he isnt alive he is still here with me in spirit. i neve knew how good of a piano player he was. that was amazing to get to listen to him play. the picture that will always stick in my head of him is him playing his guitar that was his favorite thing to do. i will miss him so much!! i love you zach!!